Thursday, October 22, 2009

Quick hits

While our laptop is vacationing in California we are stuck using Brynn's iPod to pump out a few tasty morsels here and there.

We've spent the past week parading around Portland as Brynn and I
 have had time together. Our intention was to go on a gallery tour this Monday and see what priceless works of art that are adorning this city
but it was no sooner than our first real store (we had been in a few before this one but it's the kind of place that sells seventy five dollar pillows, Owen Wilson serves as a picture frame's model, and old ladies who shop there drives a Mercedes that look like the Batmobile) than we had in hand our first pieces of art. That's right, we own art crazy! But let me tell you about service, if we are buying something for a significant amount of dough I expect someone to be there immediately. For such a high end place (they sell little "handmade" pumpkin pins that look as though a kindergartener had painted them for a whooping eighteen bucks) they ought to have at least a little bell. Yeeesh.
I also kidnapped Brynn and drove her off to IKEA where apparently dreams are made out of. I have to admit that going in I remained convinced that it was all some plot by the Swedish to brainwash our women by selling the trendy furniture but they may be onto something over there. Granted the room by room thing is cool at first (gets old by the second) i really dig the prices. Even has Wally World beat in some cases which is always a bonus. Not to mention they won me over with their cheap hot dog meal. Two bucks, two dogs, drink and chips... Who could ask for more?
Been spending the better part of twentn four hours Deaf for as part of research I need to do for a paper. Been a very interesting day with a few important details that have stuck out. One is the loss of communication with others and primarily with Brynn. It's hard because our interactions today have been limited to simple gestures and "I love you" signs. Any more than that and the process becomes laborious and stressful. I am eager to communicate but I can see between fingerspelling and teaching simple signs the strain that is put on Brynn. At times I've wanted to call it quits because all i want to is connect with her and then I can see on some level what my dad may feel like. Where there may not already sophiticated language in place simple feelings, ideas, and meanings get lost in translation. Lucky for me in eleven hours it's all over with but i cannot help but think of those who can't just simply remove their earplugs and again listen to the radio or share about your day. Maybe when I have time i will post the paper.
Got a job at Soccerplex which I'm really jazzed about. They called after in landed the job as a sandwich artisté at Subway (who convniently forgot to call me for over a week, making it easier on my concious to bolt) and it looks like I will in part help build a program. Hopefully this will give valuable skills for the future not to mention getting me back into the game i love so much.

0 thoughts: