Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It's like that.


Well of course like any personal blog this one has fallen into the cycle of neglect, wherein the owner decides that taking a day or two from blogging wouldn't be to bad until those days turn into weeks and weeks into month. The guilt building, memories fading. It's like that. But i've taken the positive approach on this sucker considering it's value not to the outside world but rather to my family. On an immediate level it's a way for us to share a little of what's going on with our lives but I think it's real value is two fold, one; for our children and grandchildren this will provide a meaningful way for them to understand our lives at this point. There is no other generation that has been able to be so open with others and record so much as ours. It will only get better. The second point is that it acts as sort of a pensieve (nerd alert if you know what that is) culling through the choice parts of memories and emotions and being able to recall them with vivid details that time often robs from us.
So on with the show!
Couple things have happen like the mundane (I really love school, my classes, and the possibilities that this will have on our future) and the really traumatic. This last week I lost my job over at Portland Indoor and I really don't know why. I've taught kids in some kind of sport since I was seventeen. I won't lie but I am really confident in what I do and the abilities I have to control a class and carryout the lesson plan. Which is exactly what they said was missing. What puzzles me is that the previous week we talked about my progress and I felt that all week I had really done my job the way I thought they wanted it done but when I went into the office Saturday I got suckered punch. I still feel it today and I think it was a mistake, not that I am biased or anything. A couple things have been running through my head ever since including how I am going to provide as a husband (though we will be helped in the coming months my my financial aid return), bitterness at not apparently measuring up (to some kind of standard that I still don't understand), the desire to prove them wrong that I am better than what they saw, apathy at looking for another job (because I won't lie that this new open schedule leaves plenty of time for study and goofing off), fear at the current job market and somewhat narrow job experience. All in all, it's a steep learning curve but most of all i'm hopeful. I think if anything the gospel has taught me that in everything there is hope. Paths that we may think will lead to happiness and security will ultimately need to be abandoned for the way the Lord wants you to go. And with that i'm secure.
Our ward is still wonky after the redrawing of the stake boundary lines and the reorganization of the whole ward (they released everyone though each member of the ward is still carrying out their old calling until a replacement is found). Two weeks ago was the first meeting and then general conference hit leaving us in suspense as to what will happen Sunday. Right now all we technically have is a Bishopric, a Relief Society President, and a Young's Men president. Weird wild stuff.
One of the blessings of living in Portland has been the realization of how close we are to the Portland Temple. Today we went with Bill and took through some of the names from my mom's side of the family. Right now my great grandparents are ready to be sealed and I had the pleasure to take Papabuleo's name through. In time our whole family will be connected, welded link by link, into an eternal family.

0 thoughts: