Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hands on Portland

One of my classes this semester is Leadership for Change. Its been a pretty good class so far... the teacher involves us a ton which is good and I'm never wishing class was over because the discussions are usually pretty interesting. We are required to do 6-8 hours of community service this term. The one I signed up for was scheduled today in Hillsboro at the Hillsboro Family Resource Center. They help low income families in the area. They get donations of clothing and food and then they allow families to come once a month and get the clothing and some food that they need. Its a really cool place that helps those who are really in need. Our job was to sort through the donations that they receive. I will admit it was a little boring and I had a red neck middle aged man next to me making fun of The Shins (they were playing 94.7 which I was really grateful for). I love The Shins! How dare he! But, I am happy I could help and I am grateful for wonderful organizations like this one whose only purpose is to help and make people's lives better. It makes me feel good that there are still good individuals out there who want to help people and not just gain riches and status *cough* verizon *cough*.....  

---Brynn---

As an aside it's funny how people eat. This is something that has limited our diet and the food we prepare on a nightly basis. I come from a 2% milk home though I was never inclined to down the white stuff. But when I get in the mood for cereal I can down a whole bag for myself but it has to be just right, chocolate and lot's of it, with milk filled to the brim. Brynn is just a little bit different... rice milk just covering the bottom and she's down with anything, funny how things work.

---Clifford---

0 thoughts: