Saturday, December 12, 2009

Spoon me...

Well it will be a December to remember. We are poor, cold, and happy. School is coming up and we are realizing how much it will take to pay for it but luckily we have been blessed with financial aid and come January 1, FASFA time! Cold, well because it's fraking cold outside and though the temperature climbed some i'm still shaking my booty off outside. Had to bust out Mr. Trench Coat for some added warmth while waiting for those big steel beasts. But as always our happiness lies in the fact that we have each other. And with it so cold in our apartment we get to snuggle a little more closely in the shadow of our mighty Douglas Fir which stands majestically at the entrance of our newly decorated living room (I would say we are now officially moved in now that Brynn has had some womanly influence when it comes to decorating). Slowly but surely we will decorate it, maybe tonight with a one o'clock frenzy of Christmas Cheer or not, been kind of sick this past week. I got it off some old guy who has been selling trees for over thirty years from the house he built of Garden Home, back when it must have been the "country". Nice guy but I hadn't realized how expensive trees are especially Nobles, which must rake in the dough for those lots that pop up all over the place. However I am not looking back and am content with representing Oregon and it's state tree, woot!

Brynn and I swayed, pushed (well really we got pushed by the mob of sixteen year olds), and rocked out to the last of this year's 94/7's "December to Remember" shows. Headlining was Spoon and though I think the keyboardist looks mighty mournful as though he feels left out from the triangle of power, the band played a fantastic set. Black Joe Lewis provided a nice opening act full of sound that reminded me of James Brown meeting southern rock/blues (think Mississippi). Best part was the lively horn section which complemented the lead singer who looks (and sounds like) Dave Chappelle (is it a black thing, NO! Just stating the facts ma'm), and one of the the brothers from the Proclaimers playing the drums. I was glad to get out and parking was particularly easy to find though it mean that Brynn and I were early to a show which allowed us a prime position but it meant standing around for forty five minutes for the show to start. There was this other girl who played a two song set between the big acts, Anya Marina, not worth remembering, cue to start erasing her from my conscience now... done.
Just reading up on interwebs... one thing that I have always been jealous of is my friends musical talents. I'm sure with plenty of work I could someday plop down at the piano and play but I want that ability now. It's one of two superpowers that I wish for, to become a master composer/writer (of music) which is enhanced by the ability to pick up anything and play it (well), real life Music man (the other power would be to either fix anything I needed or speak any language so in part this is all the stuff you saw John Travolata pull in "Phenomenon" but i'll pass on the cancer.) This need continues to grow as I've succumbed to the Rock Band craze and my inner musician is frustrated by the fact that I am pressing five colored buttons which is all a ruse to make me believe I am making music. All this to bring me to this point... see some friends, who can play music, this Wednesday (16th of December) at the Hawthorne Theater at 8pm. The way I understand it Britt and Brett are forming a new band Johan and this will be their debut performance with three other bands for the low, low price of four bucks. And if you want some advice head over to Pepino's to grab a burrito before the show.
Finally as Christmas draws a little closer, even more music can be heard dancing in the air, why not warm yourself up with a nice hot chocolate this next Saturday the 19th at our house? We are getting together to watch a Christmas movie (or maybe play some games) and having a hot chocolate potluck where you either bring your favorite kind or the best mix ins you can find.










1 thoughts:

Britt said...

Huzzah! Can't wait to see you there!