Friday, December 18, 2009

My Sister

We weren't twins. I am older by two years, she's the baby of the family. I am a boy and she is a girl. And remarkably to the discerning eye it is hard to tell we belong to the same family. The years have passed and we get older and older and beautiful things keep happening in our worlds. She is the mother of a beautiful boy. I am newly married. After the countless schemes and jobs she has finally become a CNA. I am going back to school to interpret. But all you have to do is to sit us on a couch and before long you will know over all the shouting that we are brother and sister. I love how often over the years she has tolerated my hair brained schemes and my dodgy dealings, I in fact still own 51% of the clubhouse, how's that RC Car treating you? She is the only one who I could ever turn to for advice about the girls I dated after a disastrous flirtation led me to putting a bag of candy in Ashley McCutchen's desk (nice idea mom!) only never to hear a word and have my hopes crushed by the girl of my third grade dreams. Audrey's the one who was always there to hone my backyard dominance of baseball, football, and soccer even if only lasted long enough for me to gloat. Always the cook I loved sneaking in the kitchen when her desserts were cooling and grabbing a piece only to later deny everything because maybe the boogeyman ate it. I believe she still owes me for the time that she came home and dropped on the couch after girls camp when I stuck a pen up her nose. I always admire at how everyone remembers such her indelible personality and how i've become "Audrey's brother", though it's not a big deal how I lay claim to some of that as she did listen to music and hung out my friends come over. I will never cease to be protective of her and always eye with suspicion anyone she is with but in reality I know how strong woman she has grown up to be. Everyday I am excited at the prospect of being an uncle to Michael because I know with a mother as cool as Audrey that he will be funny, relaxed, and a pure clever. I can always count on her to save me in fashion emergencies and always groan when I get preachy. I hope so much that one day we will be able to go to the temple together and that our family will be eternal. I know that her heart is gold and the Lord will see her through the storms, she will always be there for me and I will always be there for her. Because when you really are brother and sister your blood is thicker from all the love you have for each other.

0 thoughts: