Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas time

I think one of the most exciting things about Christmas is giving presents. I love to see the face of the person I give the gift to, hoping that when I passed through the store weeks ago that I had indeed picked up just the right thing. To this end with Brynn I have been bugging her to open different presents throughout the month but as a staunch "it's supposed to be a surprise" advocate I've made little head way. Granted there has been some progress, such as taking her to the Spoon concert for her birthday (due to a lack of over 21 shows playing that would be worth going to) and that same night I was able to get her to relent to accepting her new pea coat (which was the worst because I felt so bad all this winter having bought it and she was going to work in thin little hoodies in sub freezing temperatures, but hey I tried)! Finally as a pseudo birthday present (her family came up on Wednesday) I got her to indulge in a playing little New Mario Bros Wii. To this end I think I can say that this Christmas so far, so good.
I got a raise this past week which buoys our spirits as this Christmas has brought the realities of  what poor college students should live like. We had been living fairly comfortably off the savings of a year of just plain hard work but as little expenses ate away our pile of Uncle Scrooge gold, budgeting and personal finance has really come front and center into our lives. Thankfully we have jobs in which we earn a healthy living and are doing the things we need to do (educating ourselves) in order to further our economic means. The Lord has been good to us. On the flip side with the added income I have been delegated new tasks to work on whilst under the employment of SoccerPlex, none which has me working with kids more than I do. It's a sad trade off as I think I understand that perhaps now is not the time for me to lead the Kids Play program but I will continue to develop my skills in order to illuminate the different qualities I have to offer and maybe it will lead me in a different direction. I owe a lot to my experiences to my jobs at the YMCA and Salem Indoor Soccer. When Jimmy took over the SoccerTots program I got an insiders look at what it is like to learn the ropes and take over a program, that in my opinion pretty successful considering some of the circumstances that hinder Salem Indoor. I think what I really got to see with Jimmy and Vernon (and really the whole staff there) was what the look of real dedication to their jobs and clientel. This is something that has rubbed off on me and has really allowed for me to rise so quickly in the eyes of Jessica and Trent at SoccerPlex. I know that everything will sort out in the end and I am so grateful for all that I have, especially a beautiful wife who I love so much. What a great season we are in where the yuletide cheer can bring us all a little more happiness in our lives. Merry Christmas.

0 thoughts: