Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The weekend and pizza

I love Mississippi Pizza. They offer some of the best pizza in the city (though like a lot of the specialty shops they are grossly expensive, twenty one bucks for a pepperoni when you can get a cheese from Rovente's for a mere eight) and one of the most eclectic lineups for entertainment choices. I know that throughout the week they offer karaokee (at least they used to as I have some firsthand knowledge), quiz shows, and a spelling bee but every once and while bands sneak in there to play shows. This is is what (for me) Portland is about. Any night of the week is open (once Brynn has her birthday) to go out and enjoy the sounds of the city. What makes these dulcet tones better are when your friends are the ones producing them as you can take pride in their sublime skills (yes you do detect a hint of jealousy). On a night usually reserved for work, Brynn and I found ourselves with no commitments and at the Atlantis Lounge (part of Mississippi Pizza) listening to Canoe (or half of). I got to know Matt and Sofia back when (there were part of "If bears were bees")we were in the branch and with interest have been able to follow them (as much as one can with the whole mission thing, exile in Salem, etc) so it was good to reconnect with them and what they have been up to. They played a wonderful set, trying out a few new songs and I think that Brynn and I agree that Matt's voice is one that would lull you to a sweet dreamy sleep. So glad we went after a year of quiet (last concert was Mason Jennings in Eugene).
Speaking of returns to old haunts, Sunday saw a special event occur that may happen only once in a lifetime. A papal eclipse. While I was sharing my feelings of gratitude Frank (acting Pope) entered the Vatican creating the ultimate line of power during the Vatican's Thanksgiving. After years of plans, dreams, backstabbing, wars, and empty promises (roller coaster in the front yard, anyone?) it was good to be back among friends giving and receiveing a little love (also known as Marion Berry pie and just about every delicious food that I could stuff in my mouth), the Vatican will always have a special place in my heart.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving my peeps. Perhaps a leftovers potluck this weekend?

0 thoughts: