Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Interesting reads and flaccid television

It's one of my ambitions to butcher my own meat, at least once in my life. I want to run the whole gauntlet of meats; beef, pork, chicken, and venison (I stick to land animals because I have no taste for fish). The whole reason I want to do this is to understand where my meat comes from and up to this point I didn't know how to describe this desire. Part of the allure of this article is that I helps me to better form this line of thinking and perhaps peg a name for it, "Ethical butchering". In part this stems from my dad choosing not to eat meat (really he's a pescatarian) and the poring over the reasons why. Heck it also wouldn't hurt when things hit the fan and we're hunting down beasts for food, then I will know how to cut an nice t-bone. Check out the Ethical Butchers blog.


http://wweek.com/editorial/3552/13275/

One of the most important priorities I see in America is education. Bar none, the resources that we have in a person's mind is limitless and using education can help tap that marvelous resource. We have long seen minds go to waste due a lack of opportunity and this article inspired me to desire change. It's one of those things that in the scheme of things will require a lot of investment up front but will pay dividends for years to come.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2009/11/greg_goodman_wants_hope_schola.html

What's up with Heroes? Brynn and I caught up with it all through our love of watching shows on Netflix but now I almost wished I hadn't. Spoiler alert, no one (important) ever dies! And the show drags on... and the plot is convoluted (and mind you I understand that going into it but I chose to ignore it because "Look! There are people with superpowers on tv!") Oh, did I mention no one ever dies? And Zachary Quinto you're so full of yourself. Just answer me why won't anyone die?

0 thoughts: