Sunday, July 26, 2009

Missionary Work

It is said that if a mission is the spiritual high point of your life then something is wrong. There has been occasion where this has crossed my mind because of how splendid serving a mission is. I think the reason one often glosses over the work, trials and hardships is because of the great return you receive in exchange for your service. Your perception of the world changes often changes and you know, to a large extent, what will be required to stay upon the Lord's path. Which can give you cause to worry when seemingly you are not having the same spiritual experiences everyday. As we gave our talks today I was able to see what has happened in a little over a year. While nothing compares to serving the Lord it has been surpassed as I took those fateful step into the Lord's House and kneeled on the altar with my beautiful wife in front of me. These moments in our life help to give us a well rounded perspective into the Lord's plan and helps to sharpen our gaze toward our goal of eternal life. Since my mission, I have realized, again and again I have been put in the right place at the right time in order to learn new things and the stregthen the testimony that was forged over two years in Oklahoma. With the Lord's blessing I will enjoy this for many years to come.

1 thoughts:

Bill Fullmer said...

I agree, my mission was to that point the highlight and turning point in my life, without which none of the other accomplishments I have made in my life would have been possible. It set me on a course that I haven’t deviated from. That decision set in motion other events that would lead me to Karli and our marriage in the temple and the life I have had with her and my children. It was a defining point in my life, a decision which I will never regret and would recommend to anyone. It gives you the spiritual foundation to keep you on a straight course to build the Kingdom of God and to be a faithful member of the Church. The lessons learned on a mission help you develop the spiritual backbone to weather the storms and adversity in life and the challenges to your testimony that will come as we interact with the rest of the world. Most importantly it gives you the skills that you need to try to raise a family and teach them the lessons that you learned that will help them to qualify for the great blessings that the Lord has in store for them. It is however, nothing compared to the gift of marrying the right person in the temple and raising a family with them as you both struggle to teach and raise children to share your faith. Any married person who says that their mission was the best time of their lives needs to take a second look at their family and realize that the time with your family is the best and most incomparable time of their lives. Your mission gave you the foundation for the best time of the rest of your life and beyond.